Welcome to SD HOSA-Future Health Professionals
HOSA-Future Health Professionals is the only nationwide student organization whose focus is 100% health care. As an initiative of the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine and the South Dakota Area Health Education Center Program Office, South Dakota HOSA-Future Health Professionals earned its National Charter on June 26, 2013. This past year, SD HOSA had a 14% membership increase with 1008 members state-wide!
The mission of South Dakota HOSA is tri-fold:
1. We aim for students to ENVISION themselves as future health professionals in South Dakota.
- Health career opportunity awareness: There are 200+ healthcare careers that accompany the well-known physician and nurse.
2. We aim to ENERGIZE students.
- Nurturing and encouraging health career aspirations and realizing anything is possible regardless their geography or socioeconomic status.
3. We aim to ENGAGE students in their academic journey.
- Competitive Events Program offers skill development and projects giving students an "inside" look at some of the most sought after health careers.
Students from all over South Dakota are able join the SD HOSA family. Ninety-seven percent of the counties in South Dakota are considered rural. Students in these communities are "parched" in regard to knowledge and experiences regarding health care and we aim to “quench their thirst.”