“Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he can feed himself for a lifetime.” -Chinese Proverb
The cornerstone of HOSA is its Competitive Events Program (CEP). The program allows students the opportunity to complete projects, analyze problems, and practice procedures all relating to healthcare. Through the program students gain confidence and understanding about healthcare professions. The program nurtures students’ interests and provides a means for students willing to “feed themselves for a lifetime.” Through competition, these future health professionals understand the relevance of what they are learning by preparing for competition and having the determination of bettering themselves as the future of our healthcare system.
There are six (6) different categories found within the CEP:
- Health Science Events
- Health Professions Events
- Emergency Preparedness Events
- Leadership Events
- Teamwork Events
- Recognition Events
The competitions offer opportunities to all types of learners: visual learners, audio learners, and kinesthetic learners can all find their niche in HOSA’s Competitive Events Program.
Members interested in competing in the Competitive Events Program should follow these 10 steps:
- Start early. By November, find an event that fits your specific goals and interests.
- Gather all the reference materials listed in the event guidelines.
- Study, study and study again to prepare for your competition.
- Read through and understand the “General Rules and Regulations” of your event(s).
- View the online competitive events tutorial.
- Practice, practice and practice! Set-up some mock scenarios as you prepare for the real competition.
- Attend all orientations for the event(s) you have registered for.
- Make sure you have all the required materials/equipment you must bring to the event.
- Make sure you follow the HOSA dress code for your competition.
- Have fun, relax and enjoy the event.
Stem Premier Instructions: